We made it!

It is with certainty, excitement and the butterflies in my stomach that only this particular transition could afford that I am happy to announce I am moving to Washington, DC to be with my wife permanently!

This is one of the most significant steps in what has been a decade-long quest. My wife and I met in 2001 while we were living in different countries, at different stages in our careers and pursuing other goals. We made a commitment back then to figure out how to be together and we’ve been working towards that ever since.

The hurdles were many and significant, but we successfully managed to move to the same country, then the same state and eventually the same city, up until last year when she took an International Emergency Medicine Fellowship position in DC (she is an EM physician). We’ve been commuting on weekends to be together ever since. It’s not very fun.

In the intervening years, we accumulated a number of degrees, diplomas, jobs, careers, greencards, relatives, wedding vows, real estate, pets and an innumerable amount of possessions and memories which now fill our home and our hearts. That’s a lot of baggage to commute between Philly and DC every weekend so we discussed this long and hard and decided it was just not worthwhile. We are done waiting. This move means we can finally be together for good.

I am leaving my position as Principal, User Experience Design at Comcast, which seems unreal even as I write this considering how meaningful and important this phase of my life was. I could not possibly express what it has meant to me to have done this for the past 6 (six!!!) years in a few short lines but I will talk about it more in the future. Suffice to say I am thankful for the experience, memories and friendships.

I will surely miss all the people I’ve met in Philly though I am glad to know I won’t need to live here to keep those friendships. I am very excited about living in DC too. I love the city and I am fortunate to already have many friends and family there. Not to mention how great the UX community is locally (I often attend the local events even though that means a hike from Philly every time), which means I can continue my UX community shenanigans just as much (if not more than now).

This is not an easy transition and there is so much to do that I can barely look at my to-do list without cringing, but I could not be happier and more delighted to finally come to the end of this long and hard journey feeling a complete sense of joy and accomplishment.

Thank you all who have been there for me and for us along the day. This is possible, in no small part, because of your love, friendship and support.

Russ said,

June 13, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Congrats, my friend! Best to you both!

rene de paula jr said,

June 13, 2011 @ 11:27 am

você é muito querida, Liv :) fico super feliz por voces

Dan Brown said,

June 13, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Yay! Can’t wait to have you in town! I hope Sarah and I can be among the first to have you guys over for a welcome meal.

Dave Malouf said,

June 13, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Livia, This is great news for the both you. I’m so excited!
Yeah!!!!

–d ave

Bryan said,

June 13, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Congratulations! Actually living with your wife, what a treat!
You have always been very inclusive and quick to share, thank you.

Aaron Baker said,

June 13, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Wow what a great story! My boyfriend currently lives in Mexico City and you’ve just outlined the journey we plan to go through in the next 10 years. This gives me hope that I’m not crazy, and that love conquers all obstacles, especially distance. Thanks!

Jennifer Bohmbach said,

June 13, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

I’m very happy for both of you, Liv! You have been waiting so long. It’s very exciting and rewarding to finally arrive at this milestone. Congrats on your new home!

Joan Vermette said,

June 13, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Squee! So happy for you. :-)

Austin Govella said,

June 13, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Woohoo! Congrats! I’m sure the next six years will be just as awesome as the last six. The only downside is that now you will have to compete for comics with the Eight Shapes crew. You should tell the local shop to add +1 to their orders.

Deb Gelman said,

June 13, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

We’ll miss you! But so excited for the adventures that await you. Keep in touch…

John Labriola said,

June 13, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

That is fantastic and such happy news! I never knew that story, it is very inspiring. Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

I think therefore IA (Livia Labate) » Help me find a place to live! said,

June 13, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

[...] we’re moving to DC and we need a place to live. Can you help? This is what we are looking [...]

Karen Pilling said,

June 13, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Livia – It’s official! It is the end of an era at CIM.

I knew there was a reason you popped into my head last week when I was missing the people who mattered to me. It was a pleasure to work with you.

D.C. is an awesome place to live. Congratulations and best of luck to you both.

Karen

Marc Rettig said,

June 13, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Big hugs. Glad. End of an era, yes. And entering a much bigger and very wonderful territory. Looking forward to what’s beginning!

Noreen Whysel said,

June 13, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

This is wonderful news and DC is amazing. Congratulations to both of you. /N

Nicole Couto said,

June 14, 2011 @ 5:25 am

Congrats! Follow your heart in every possible ways!

Karl said,

June 14, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Hi Livia,

I am so very happy for you. You and your wife sharing a home and no longer commuting is awesome! You’re going to be fantastic wherever you go, and I think D.C. has some huge opportunities. During my time here, you are one of the people who is always in the front of my mind for great conversation, thought expanding work, and you are someone I’ve always instinctively trusted and that means a lot.

Karl

Lori Widelitz-Cavallucci said,

June 14, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Philadelphia’s great loss will be D.C.’s tremendous gain. Congratulations and don’t forget to come back and visit us!

June 15, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to leave a note or emailed or tweeted me. I’m elated.

Erik Gibb said,

June 16, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Congrats, Livia & happy pride – even more reason to celebrate this year!

I think therefore IA (Livia Labate) » Make it happen 2011 said,

June 16, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

[...] talk, which could not have been more appropriately timed, will be a journey through my work at Comcast between 2004 and 2011. I’m going to talk about [...]

Bruno De Paula said,

June 16, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Well written, parabéns Lívia.

beijos!

Mauricio Nagase said,

June 17, 2011 @ 12:49 am

Am I suppose to send you a tender fax again ? Vou escrever em portugues para ninguem (ou pouca gente) entender… kkkk Sabiamos que em algum momento isso iria acontecer… “Someone’s gotta give”. Acho que esta corretissima (e sabe que se eu nao achasse eu diria…). Dizem que o apice de nossa pontencial é atingido com 27 anos… hoje ja temos mais de 30 (voce tambem tem mais de 30 certo ?)… e pensar que teremos saude ate uns 60 anos…. ja passamos da metade!! nao da para esperar mais as coisas…. tem que ser agora… tem que ser ja !! “voce tem que amar as pessaos como se nao houvesse amanha!” ehehe e acho que é isso que esteja fazendo, confie no seu coracao, confie em voce, decisao acertadissima!!! love come first !! in the end… “all we need is love and Apple stuffs…” ;-) (see you in DC!)

Donna said,

June 17, 2011 @ 4:45 am

Congrats Liv! Hope the move all goes smoothly and the two of you re-settle quickly and comfortably :)

xian said,

June 17, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

onward and upward!

Motorcyclejackets said,

June 19, 2011 @ 4:43 am

You and your wife sharing a home and no longer commuting is awesome! You’re going to be fantastic wherever you go, and I think D.C. has some huge opportunities.Am I suppose to send you a tender fax again ?

I think therefore IA (Livia Labate) » Kaboom said,

June 27, 2011 @ 11:47 am

[...] about reflecting on that journey, which I wanted to do but had had difficulty committing to. Also, the timing was perfect. So what went [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI