Tagged: Malicious Social Network

I keep getting invitations to Tagged and I am getting really annoyed. There are several signs that it’s malicious and I feel like I’m trapped.

First, the ‘invitation’ email:

Tagged "Invitation"

I quote the word ‘invitation’ because you’ll notice that it says “Click here to unsubscribe from Tagged”. I never subscribed and never once gave them the right to use my email address so I am certainly not subscribed. However, because people have invited me to join using my address, they took the liberty to subscribe me. Not ok.

(It also gives no context as to who is inviting you. I know about 8 people called Ana).

When you try to unsubscribe, you see the obvious CYA message:

Keep unsubscribing, we think you're an idiot

Which is fine, except, it says “We will not share your personal information with your partners”, which leads me to believe that they have already shared my email address. What’s more absurd about this is that if you get a new pseudo-invitation, you have to keep unsubscribing!

If that wasn’t enough, when you visit the site you will notice the quality ads that it displays. I don’t have an issue with display banners, but at this day and age, a pop-up with animated cursors spells MALICIOUS six ways to Sunday. If that doesn’t convince you, take a brief look at profile page to get a sense of the type of SPAM that goes around this network.

Profile sample

Lastly, their ‘About’ page is (conveniently?) broken, so you can’t really know much about who they are. I may seem like I’m picking on them, but when you only have a link to the About page on your homepage but not anywhere else on the site, and that link is broken, I think you’re cheating.

Malicious Social Networking: Bad business? at Facibus Reviews said,

April 21, 2007 @ 6:26 pm

[...] Livia Labate is having a bad time with Tagged. It looks like they won’t leave her alone. [...]

Andrew Boyd said,

April 21, 2007 @ 6:32 pm

Hi Livia,

sounds like stalking to me – business must be bad if they’re adopting spamming tactics to keep customers. History shows that this kind of stuff is self-defeating, so unless they have a monopoly on some corner of the market (which is the only time that tyranny gets to exist in business) then they are on the way out. Maybe not soon enough though.

Cheers, Andrew

April 21, 2007 @ 9:02 pm

I think you’re right. My concern, however, is that by the time they leave, they will have shared my email address with tons of other malicious people who may be only just starting.

James Boekbinder said,

April 22, 2007 @ 4:13 am

It looks sleazy and definitely not to be trusted. Literally ANY invitation not immediately identifiable and provable as coming from a friendly source, should be rejected immediately. Hope that’s enough to protect us from this sort of thing…

Licia said,

April 22, 2007 @ 10:47 pm

Já recebi 2 convites em ingles, porém dizendo que meu “amigo” era do Brasil. Como achei que era algum tipo de virus/spam, joguei fora. Se não me inscrevi, jamais clico para me desinscrever.

April 23, 2007 @ 9:37 am

Excellent. Keep doing that, they are no good. PS: Maybe respond in English next time? :)

Dvad said,

May 18, 2007 @ 9:05 pm

I just received one too. The second screen that came up after the ‘welcome’ screen asked me to enter my Hotmail password so the site could import my address book and automatically invite friends. There must be a lot of really naiive users out there.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI